FRANK E. ANDRAE
Frank E. Andrae, dealer in new and secondhand furniture, also stoves, tin-ware and junk, enjoys the advantage of having no business competitor in the city of Pekin. His establishment, at 419 Margaret Street, is one of the familiar landmarks of the town, and has so thoroughly satisfied public demands as to discourage any other from embarking upon a like venture. Since 1873 the building has harbored its miscellaneous collection, and the owner has continued to hold the respect and good will of his many patrons, and to take his place as a supporter of practical and progressive municipal government .Born in Saxony, Germany, September 5, 1845, Mr. Andrae is a son of Saxon parents, Christian and Johanna (Helbig) Andrae, both claiming the birth year of 1819. He was educated in the public schools and reared on a farm, and April 12. 1869, married Florentine Metze, member of one of the old families of Saxony, and born October 5. 1848. Mrs. Andrae is the daughter of Christian Frederick and Ernestine Mary Metze, the father being born June 21, 1821: date of mother’s birth May 31, 1827, and year of death, 1898. During the summer of 1869 the young people came to America in a sailing-vessel, and Mr. Andrae, then twenty four years old, engaged in the street-contracting business with his brother-in law, in Brooklyn.N. Y. By 1871 he had managed to save considerable money, and with it he brought his family to Pekin, where he was employed in the railroad-repair shops until purchasing his present property in 1873. Eight of his children are living, the order of their births being as follows: Mary, February 1, 1873; August, July 23, 1875; Augusta, July 23, 1876; Emma, April 19, 1877; Otto, August 28, 1880; William, December 23, 1881; Theresa, June 22. 1887; and Ida, March 19, 1889. Mr. Andrae subscribes to the principles of the Democratic party, and in religion is a Lutheran. He is one of the substantial business men of Pekin, is large- hearted and genial, and has a competence to show as a result of his years of industrious and successful effort in his line of business.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 971