Henry Denhart, Washington, Ill., was born on December 8, 1842, near Hessick Castle, Germany, the son of Andrew and Mary Denhart. He came to the United States with his parents at the age of eleven, locating in Washington, Ill., in 1853. He attended the public schools for a short time, and worked for different parties until 1866, when he went into the dry- goods business at Washington, with Charles E. Anthony, the firm being known as Anthony & Denhart. They continued in business until 1885, when Mr. Denhart bought out his partner. The business was then conducted under the name of Henry Denhart & Company. Mr. Denhart sold out the dry-goods business in 1880 and bought out the J. C. Kimble Lumber Company, continuing in that business until September, 1903, when he sold our. In 1886 Charles E. Anthony and Henry Denhart organized the bank of Anthony & Denhart. In 1885, Mr. Denhart bought out Mr. Anthony’s interest in the bank, of which he is now sole owner and proprietor. He has been identified with a number of cattle companies in the West, and is a large land holder in Illinois, Iowa and Louisiana. In the latter State he owns 20,000 acres.
In politics, Mr. Denhart was a Democrat until 1896, since which time he has voted with the Republican party. He belongs to the Lutheran Church. In 1872 he was married to Clara S. Lawson.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 997