MOSES S. BEYER
Moses S. Beyer, proprietor of the Electric Light & Power Company, and Water-Works of Morton, was born in Lewis County, N. Y., in the year 1861, and obtained his education in the public schools of his native State. He moved from New York to Missouri in 1874, where he resided until 1881, when he located in Tazewell County and engaged in farming for one year. In 1882 he formed a partnership with Henry Strayer, which continued until 1887, the firm operating two large steam threshing machines. Later he was associated with his brothers in the same line, three machines being kept busy. In 1889 the Electric Light plant was added and three years later the Water Works were put in operation. All the machinery was in use until 1901; now Mr. Beyer’s attention is given solely to the Electric Light and Power Company and the Water Works, the latter being the town’s sole source of water supply.
Mr. Beyer has held his present position in Morton for the past twenty-three years; is also the owner of a 300-acre farm in Spring Lake Township.
In 1885 he was married at Morton to Miss Susan Zobeist, a native of Germany, and from this union four children have been born: Frank, Mary, Lena and Anna. The parents of Mr. Beyer were Martin and Elizabeth (Schiffer) Beyer, both of whom were born in Germany, the former in 1830 and the latter in 1832.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 979