JAMES O. LING
James O. Ling, son of John H. and Anna (Wood) Ling, was born in Bedford County, Pa., August 15, 1847, and came to Tazewell County in March, 1866. His education was obtained in the public schools. After moving to Tazewell County with his parents, Mr. Ling went to Kansas and engaged in farming there for three years. Then returning to Tazewell County, he followed the same occupation for one year in Little Mackinaw Township, when he took up his residence in the village of Minier. Here he took up the dairying business, but subsequently entered the grocery trade, establishing a meat market, and after conducting that for four years sold out and went into the insurance business, which he has followed for about twenty years. Mr. Ling is a member of the Methodist Church, and in politics a Democrat. He has held the office of Deputy Sheriff and also that of Tax Collector. He belongs to the Order of Odd Fellows (Viola Lodge No. 638) and the Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Ling’s father, John H. Ling. was born in 1817 and came to Little Mackinaw in 1866, taking up the occupation of farming. At one time he was elected Collector for the township. His wife, Anna (Wood), was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1827.
Mr. James O. Ling has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Emma Caruthers, born in Tennessee in 1846, a daughter of John C. Caruthers. Of this union five children were born: May, Irena. Roy J., Hattie, who died at the age of eleven years: and Hugh, who died when about fifteen months old. On October 26, 1890, Mr. Ling was married at Pekin to Miss Mary C. Easton, who was born in Ohio in April, 1848, the daughter of Henry and Lucinda (Cross) Easton. Mrs. Easton was a native of Indiana, where she died in 1882. Six children have been born of this second marriage, of whom three are deceased.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1039