ALBA P. O’BRIEN
Alba P. O’Brien, son of Benjamin and Mary (Morse) O’Brien, was born in Groveland, Tazewell County, February 1, 1858, and was educated in the public schools and business college of his native town. After leaving school he engaged in farming, an occupation he has since followed, in connection with stockraising, and cultivates his share of 503 acres of land, which is owned jointly by the O’Brien family. He has erected a commodious house, with substantial out-buildings, and is enjoying the fruits of his early industry. In his religious views Mr. O’Brien is a Methodist, and in his political sentiments has always been an active Republican, having held the office of Town Collector and School Director.
On December 23, 1880, Mr. O’Brien was married in Fond du Lac Township to Miss Dorcas J. Mooberrv, who was born March 7, 1860, and they are the parents of five children: Benjamin R., Edna Myrtle, Jessie Grace, Edith Pearl and Elsie—the three last named being deceased. The paternal grandparents of Mr. O’Brien were John O’Brien, a native of Nova Scotia, and Sally (Hinkson) O’Brien, while on the maternal side they were Parker and Roxana (Childs) Morse, natives of Vermont.
Benjamin O’Brien, the father, came to Illinois in 1833, when fourteen years of age, and located in Tazewell County, his father having entered about 500 acres of land in Groveland Township. The father was born March 20, 1820, and died April 29, 1900. In 1847 he journeyed overland to California, the trip occupying six months. Three years later he returned to Philadelphia via the Isthmus of Panama bringing with him a considerable amount of gold, which he had converted into money at the Philadelphia mint, and, coming to Illinois, engaged in farming.
Mrs. Alba P. O’Brien is the daughter of Samuel and Louis Coleson (Hughes) Mooberry, natives of Columbus, Ohio, who came to Illinois, in 1832, and settled in Groveland Township, where Mr. Mooberry entered a large tract of land and became a prosperous farmer.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1054