GEORGE W. FERNER
George W. Ferner, born in Ohio May 14, 1842, came to Tazewell County in 1851. and received his education in the Washington County district school. At the age of twenty years, he took up arms in defense of the Union, enlisting with the Eighty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, served with Colonel Irons, under Generals Rosecrans and Sherman. After three years of faithful service he was honorably discharged, and returned to Illinois, locating in Will County, where he lived eighteen years, and then removed to the old homestead, one mile south of Washington. In 1897 he built his present residence, about one-half mile from the village of Washington, where he has since resided and followed the occupation of farming.
In religion Mr. Ferner is a member of the Evangelical Church. He is an active supporter of the Republican party, and has served as Justice of the Peace and director of the School Board. In 1887 he was united in marriage at Washington to Miss Amelia Zincer (born in 1861), and they have six children:
Orestes A., Evalina, Ruth E., Hayes H., Grace E., and Marie.
The paternal great-grandfather of Mr. Ferner was a native of Pennsylvania, and a patriot soldier of the Revolutionary War. His paternal grandparents were Abraham and Barbara Ferner, both of whom were born in Pennsylvania. The maternal grandfather, John Weyant, was a native of Germany. His father, George Ferner, married Miss Catherine Weyant, both of whom were born in the Keystone State, the former in 1813 and the latter in 1811.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1000