MORRIS C. HUGHES
Morris C. Hughes, dealer in coal, iron, grain, stone and brick, was born in Princeton, Bureau County, Ill., September 5, 1860, and at the age of five years came with his parents to Tazewell County, where he was educated in the public schools. He learned the trade of a carpenter, and his first position was obtained with the C. P. & S. W. Railroad, in whose employ he remained for five years. During the following five years he worked for F. N. Rickman as a carpenter, then for Stormer & Bailer for one and a half years, after which he was employed for five years by the George M. Moore & Co., implement dealers, of Peoria. He then became the proprietor of an implement business at Washington, continuing in that line for ten years, at the end of which period he sold his establishment, and in 1902 entered into partnership with M. W. Jenkins, dealing in coal, iron, stone, grain and brick.
In his religious belief Mr. Hughes is a Methodist. He is a stanch supporter of the Republican party, and held the office of Alderman three terms and that of Street Commissioner one term. Socially, he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, of which he has been Treasurer, as well as holding other offices, and he is also identified with the Court of Honor.
Our subject was married May 18, 1881, at Washington, to Miss Flora Stormer, who was born January 14, 1861, and two children have been born to them: Nellie C. (deceased), and Maus C. The father of Mr. Hughes, George, was born in Ireland in 1808, and departed this life October 7, 1877. He married Miss Cassandra B. Jones, whose birth occurred in Virginia on December 6, 1818. She died February 4, 1902.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1026