VALENTINE MYERS SR
Valentine Myers, Sr., retired farmer, Little Mackinaw Township, was born in Rhine Province, Prussia, December 19, 1833, the son of Loren and Elizabeth (Shulto) Myers, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father, who was from Bryan, died when his son was one and a half years old. The latter came to the United States, in 1858, and on May 10 of that year arrived in Tazewell County, Ill., where he began work for William Vauhen at $12.50 per month. He continued in Mr. Vauhen’s employ from October 1, 1858, to August 9, 1862, when he enlisted in Company H, One-hundred-and-fifteenth Illinois Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Chickamauga, and was held for seventeen months and seven days, during which time he was confined in five different prisons, the last one being at Laurens, S. C.
After being mustered out of the service, Mr. Myers returned to Illinois and rented a farm which he cultivated until 1866, when he purchased eighty acres of land at $12 per acre. This tract he subsequently sold and, in conjunction with his brother-in-law. Chris Hening, bought 280 acres on Sections 7 and 8. He also disposed of this land and, in 1881, bought 255 acres on Sections 4 and 5, at $50 per acre, to which he gradually added until he became the owner of 528 acres, when he retired.
Mr. Myers is affiliated with the German Evangelical Church, and in politics supports the principles of the Republican party. He has served as Road Commissioner six years and as School Director three years. He is a member of Minier Post, No. 168, G. A. R.
The marriage of Mr. Myers to Miss Catherine Graff was celebrated at Pekin on March 13, 1866, and to them have been born seven children, viz.: Henry S., Frederick W, Valentine, Anna Elizabeth (who died when seven months old), Carl, Lydia and Edward.
Mrs. Myers, the daughter of Henry P. and Anna Catherine (Imig) Graff, was born in Rhine Province, Prussia, April 27, 1847. Her father born in, Germany in 1795, came to the United States in 1858, locating in Little Mackinaw Township, where he bought eighty acres of land in Section 32, to which he added, until, at the time of his death in 1865, he had acquired about 200 acres. His wife was also a native of Germany, where she was born in 1814, her death occurring at Little Mackinaw, in 1877.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1050